GIS is a
collection of computer hardware, software, and geographic data for capturing,
managing, analysing, and displaying all forms of geographically referenced
information. With this technology users can
analyse complex situations, visualize problems, and create geographic plans and
solutions. They can also increase
efficiency, reduce costs, and help people make faster and better decisions that
consider all the geographic factors necessary to create a sustainable future.
The Planning Institute of Jamaica
PIOJ performs many functions with special responsibility to strengthen the
overall planning capacity of the government. A number of these functions can be directly supported by the use of GIS. These include:
- Coordinating planning for the sustainable development of Jamaica
- Disaster Impact Assessment and Reporting
- Monitoring the implementation of plans and projects
- Undertaking training and research
- Maintaining various data and indicators
- Managing technical programmes
The maps in this section
represent some of the work done by the PIOJ with the assistance of GIS.
Poverty maps are available for sale. For additional information, please contact our offices.